About The Rotary Club of Englewood
As one of Englewood leading charitable and service organizations, the Rotary Club of Englewood has provided countless hours of volunteer service and significant monetary support for a variety of local causes since it was founded in 1959.
For more than 60 years, the club has divided its service to the community between hands-on, volunteer projects, and raising funds to help organizations and causes. It has raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for not-for-profit organizations, helping Englewood cope with pressing issues ranging from illiteracy to domestic violence to homelessness and poverty.
The club’s philosophy is to provide general assistance wherever it is needed – thus it has provided volunteers for everything from building homes for low-income families to cleaning up Englewood’s beaches to delivering hot meals to the needy.
Over its history, the club has placed a strong emphasis on helping Englewood’s youth. Projects range from youth mentoring to after-school reading programs and scholarships.
Our Club’s History
In 1959 a few friends gathered and put together a list of business and professional people, informed them of the ideas, and invited them to a luncheon meeting. These potential members met and learned the story behind Rotary, organized, elected officers and applied for a charter. Ralph E Horton Sr. was elected the Rotary Club of Englewood's first President.
Rotary International issued the Club charter on May 28, 1959. The club has met every week for more than 60 years.
The history of the Rotary Club of Englewood has been a proud one of a group of men and women of varied backgrounds, faiths, experiences, and resources joined together through acquaintanceships turned friendships, and working together to serve others truly putting "service above self."